How to use Moving Average indicator
The Moving Average (MA) indicator is a commonly used technical analysis tool that is used to identify trends and potential reversals in the market. Here's how to use it:
1. Choose a timeframe: The first step in using the Moving Average indicator is to choose a timeframe that you want to analyze. This could be an hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly timeframe depending on your trading strategy and preferences.
2. Select the type of Moving Average: There are different types of Moving Average, but the most commonly used ones are Simple Moving Average (SMA) and Exponential Moving Average (EMA). SMA calculates the average price over a specific period, while EMA places more weight on recent prices. The choice between SMA and EMA will depend on your trading strategy and preferences.
3. Determine the period: The period refers to the number of price bars that the Moving Average is calculated over. A common period is 20, which means the Moving Average is calculated over the last 20 price bars.
4. Plot the Moving Average: Once you have determined the type and period of the Moving Average, you can plot it on your chart. You can do this by selecting the indicator from your charting platform and inputting the necessary parameters. On MT4 terminal you can find Moving Average indocator under the Indicators -> Trend list. Just drag and drop it on the chart. A window with Moving Average input parameters will appear. Set the period and select the type of Moving Average and click the button OK.
5. Interpret the Moving Average: The Moving Average can be used to identify trends and potential reversals. If the price is above the Moving Average, it indicates an uptrend, and if the price is below the Moving Average, it indicates a downtrend. Additionally, when the price crosses above or below the Moving Average, it can signal a potential trend reversal.
It's important to note that Moving Average is a lagging indicator, which means it is based on past price data and may not be predictive of future price movements. It's also important to use Moving Average in conjunction with other technical analysis tools to make informed trading decisions.